Friday, April 11, 2008

Starting from the bottom

This is a wreath I made for the front door....I think it sings Spring! :) It's raining and while I tried to diver the runoff from the new bed, it's not working the way I'd really like it to. I need to get rocks from my mom's place to build a small retaining wall, but the ground is still so wet there that we can't get to them. Grr.. It's okay. We need the rain and the fact that my yard is so lush and green and everything is looking beautiful makes me less upset about the water situation. Luckily monarda doesn't mind the super moist soil.



Can't say much for the Gaillardia, but it is a little higher and less water is getting there. As a matter of fact, since I put in the pipe, the water is simply following along the bricks and less soil is being taken away. Still, it bothers me and I can't wait to be able to do the rocks. It'll be lovely when it's finished and the flowers will be happy. :)



In front, bulbs are on fire! I love them. The house looks so pretty and inviting and it seems my neighbors are noticing, because they wave to me more....weird, I know but true. :) After all, before we moved here, it was dark and filled with pachysandra and vinca. I like both of them, but there are so many lovely plants that it's a shame to simply fill an area with those. I added a few more pansies to the front and so it is finished until I add summer annuals. I'm free to watch it grow and evolve into whatever it is to be. So fun.



In the back, the roses are postively loaded with leaves! Last year they were not nearly as lush and I hated seeing the old wood in them. Well, I pruned them lightly and added coffee grounds to all the beds...apparently that helped them a lot. I'm just so amazed with how lush everything is. Thankfully we've had a lot of rain and I've amended the soil like a madwoman! Both have helped a lot and my hard work paid off for sure.



So when people say to start from the bottom that is absolutely true when gardening!



It's really easy to add things to your garden to help it too.....Here's what I've done.



In autumn:



Rake leaves in yard, chop them with mower and add to beds as mulch.



In spring:



Work in leaves from autumn

Add coffee grounds from Starbucks (free Grounds for Your Garden see http://www.starbucks.com/) or other coffee shop



Honestly, that's all I've done and now anytime I scoop out some soil with my trowel, I get a scoopful of earthworms! It's awesome....even though I feel bad for hurting the worms when I dig. :(




No comments: