Sunday, April 6, 2008

Gardening!

This is a pic of the new bed. It's small, but I only wanted a little room for some Monarda and Gaillardia. Spring-flowering trees are the best!

Okay, I've been sick for several days, but the weather is so lovely and it's so warm outside that I couldn't resist going outside to enjoy it.


Finches played in the yard today and a few stopped at the feeder, even a lovely yellow finch. I love them. I can't wait for the echinacea to bloom again this year, because the finches really loved them last year. I was so surprised when I looked out the window and saw a yellow finch eating the seeds from the flower! It was great.


So I'm having trouble in the back with rain runoff. I created a new bed, or rather extended and existing bed, but the runoff from the rain is washing away the topsoil. I tried to use a pipe to drain the water away, but it was too short. So, I have tried to fix it again today. I'm not sure it'll work and it's less than aesthetically beautiful. Still, if it works, I can deal with it. Besides, when the Shasta Daisies fill out, they will cover it. I can also get some mulch to cover it as well. Hopefully it'll work, or my Gaillardia and Monarda may be in trouble. While Monarda likes moist soil, I doubt it'll be able to withstand what the runoff is doing. Grrr....

No comments: